Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Selling Out/Papa Roach/CCR

Glitch sena.reisenweaver@verizon.net
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:55:38 -0400

--B_3117221739_65172

Just to add a little here which has already been touched on: sometimes
musicians have much less control over their music than they would like,
depending on what kind of deal they signed with their record label (eg.
CCR).  I also know that more current bands like Papa Roach/Limp Bizkit/Blin=
182, N*SYNC, whoever, frequently sign onto deals with big labels with the
promise of fame, fortune, all the money in the world and drugs, babes,
whatever you want: the catch is, we get all the rights to your music and =AD
oops look it=B9s now in a commercial.  I honestly think many of these bands
don=B9t even know what hit them, they=B9re very young and na=EFve to the ways of
the music business when they start out, they just know they=B9re famous,
they=B9re huge, they=B9re making a lot of money (although not as much as they
could with a decent label, if Courtney Love is to be believed) and having
everything they ever wanted; except control over their music.  The funny
thing is, in their new god-like state they may not even realize they want
that.  I actually really feel sorry for some of these guys; however much I
may hate them and what they stand for (some of =8Cem) I really think they kin=
of got screwed.  Literally selling your soul for material wealth.  So I
wouldn=B9t say that someone like Papa Roach is just adding to their big pile
of money by doing a  commercial, because that probably wasn=B9t their decisio=
to make.

--Glitch
"There are trivial truths and great truths.
The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false.
The opposite of a great truth is also true."
                     --Niels Bohr

--B_3117221739_65172

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Selling Out/Papa Roach/CCR</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Just to add a little here which has alr=
eady been touched on: sometimes musicians have much less control over their =
music than they would like, depending on what kind of deal they signed with =
their record label (eg. CCR). &nbsp;I also know that more current bands like=
 Papa Roach/Limp Bizkit/Blink 182, N*SYNC, whoever, frequently sign onto dea=
ls with big labels with the promise of fame, fortune, all the money in the w=
orld and drugs, babes, whatever you want: the catch is, we get all the right=
s to your music and &#8211; oops look it&#8217;s now in a commercial. &nbsp;=
I honestly think many of these bands don&#8217;t even know what hit them, th=
ey&#8217;re very young and na&iuml;ve to the ways of the music business when=
 they start out, they just know they&#8217;re famous, they&#8217;re huge, th=
ey&#8217;re making a lot of money (although not as much as they could with a=
 decent label, if Courtney Love is to be believed) and having everything the=
y ever wanted; except control over their music. &nbsp;The funny thing is, in=
 their new god-like state they may not even realize they want that. &nbsp;I =
actually really feel sorry for some of these guys; however much I may hate t=
hem and what they stand for (some of &#8216;em) I really think they kind of =
got screwed. &nbsp;Literally selling your soul for material wealth. &nbsp;So=
 I wouldn&#8217;t say that someone like Papa Roach is just adding to their b=
ig pile of money by doing a &nbsp;commercial, because that probably wasn&#82=
17;t their decision to make.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">--Glitch<BR>
----------------------------------------------------<BR>
&quot;There are trivial truths and great truths. &nbsp;<BR>
The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. &nbsp;<BR>
The opposite of a great truth is also true.&quot;<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--Niels Bohr<BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3117221739_65172--