Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] songwriting

Randy Van Vliet bigdaddyrv@yahoo.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 08:16:08 -0800 (PST)

My take on this whole subject is that you can't show
any one song or even album as an example of the Oils
songwriting prowess because there really isn't any
"Oils Sound" (other than sustained excellence).  I
would try to show the progression from the early punky
sounds to the "outback acoustic" which culminated in
D&D to the more mature sound of BSM and ESM and then
they completely shake it all up with Breathe and (my
personal favorite) Redneck Wonderland then Capricornia
which kind of goes back to the combination of the D&D
and BSM sounds to me.  The only constant that I can
tell is that each sound works perfectly and I can't
live without any of them.  I need to add the
disclaimer that I have absolutley no musical training
and no musical ability whatsoever (My 14 year old
daughter, who sings like a lark, won't sit next to me
in Church anymore because of my singing), but...I know
what I like and more often than not it's the Oils!

Randy