Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Ethics question

Miron Mizrahi mironmizrahi@yahoo.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:32:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

it is true that trading bootleg recording is borderline illegal but
so is driving over the speed limit. I have no ethical problem
driving over the speed limit as long as I am not endangering
anyone's life. nor do I have an issue trading bootlegs as long as it
is not taking money out of (or preventing it from going into) the
artist's pocket. selling these recordings on ebay is stealing - pure
and simple. I don't care what costs these individuals incurred. they
only incurred them because they figured out they could make money
afterwards. I spent a lot of time and a fair bit of money converting
video tapes to VCD and weeding them and I did not charge anyone a
dime. none of them - to the best of my knowledge - are available
commercially, including MTV unplugged. 20KW RSL might contain the
odd track, but not the whole show.

on another list I am a member of, people email the sellers and ebay
trying their best to get these auctions off the block. I am not in
the habbit of doing it because, frankly, I am too damn lazy. but
both law and ethics are on our side and if anyone can be bothered,
we should do everything we can to stop this kind of trade. it is our
duty as Oils fans.

=====
Miron

What happened to this song we once knew so well
Signed promise for moments caught within the spell
I must have waited all my life for this
Moment moment (Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans)