Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Most Influential

GrnVillageGirl@aol.com GrnVillageGirl@aol.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:50:14 EST

--part1_15.21ef0a9.2b03ceb6_boundary

I too would go for The Beatles, but possibly The Rolling Stones.
Think about it: before the Stones, there was NO lead singer-lead guitarist
interplay/interdependence. They set that standard and zillions of bands have
(un)consciously aped it ever since. Think of Aerosmith, for just the most
obvious example.
I get to vote in the Rock & Roll Hall of Lame (yeah, I know, big deal) but
the point I want to make from that experience is that I think of how much a
given artist has influenced other artists in making my choices. I have voted
for artists that I couldn't give a toss about, nor own any of their music,
simply because I believed their influence was undeniable.
I can't really say that about the Oils, and that's NOT to downgrade them or
their music in the slightest. It's just that I can only think of a handful of
groups/artists that seem to have been inspired or otherwise influenced by
them. That would be bands or artists that are well-known, not those playing
in small clubs or their own garages in various areas around the world that I
may not be aware of!
Look at it this way: the Oils are truly one-of-a-kind and unique. Others may
have tried to follow in their footsteps, but none have made it to any
important degree.
Whether they've personally influenced ME or any other non-musician wouldn't
seem pertinent to this particular station or poll.
("Cock rock"? Right there, you've got your answer!)

--part1_15.21ef0a9.2b03ceb6_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I too would go for The Beatles, but possibly The Rolling Stones. <BR>
Think about it: before the Stones, there was NO lead singer-lead guitarist interplay/interdependence. They set that standard and zillions of bands have (un)consciously aped it ever since. Think of Aerosmith, for just the most obvious example.<BR>
I get to vote in the Rock &amp; Roll Hall of Lame (yeah, I know, big deal) but the point I want to make from that experience is that I think of how much a given artist has influenced other artists in making my choices. I have voted for artists that I couldn't give a toss about, nor own any of their music, simply because I believed their influence was undeniable.<BR>
I can't really say that about the Oils, and that's NOT to downgrade them or their music in the slightest. It's just that I can only think of a handful of groups/artists that seem to have been inspired or otherwise influenced by them. That would be bands or artists that are well-known, not those playing in small clubs or their own garages in various areas around the world that I may not be aware of!<BR>
Look at it this way: the Oils are truly one-of-a-kind and unique. Others may have tried to follow in their footsteps, but none have made it to any important degree.<BR>
Whether they've personally influenced ME or any other non-musician wouldn't seem pertinent to this particular station or poll.<BR>
("Cock rock"? Right there, you've got your answer!)<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_15.21ef0a9.2b03ceb6_boundary--