Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oily Influence (was Vote for the Oils!)

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:35:23 -0500 (EST)

--0-23325519-1037115323=:23464

Alister Thomas <a_thomas@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

My own opinion on this matter is that the Oils (great, though they are!)
aren't eligible for title of most influential artist of all time. I think a
more sensible assessment of their place in the history of music would be to
set their importance in the context of Australian music - in this sense I
would say that they're one of the most important (if not, *the* most
important) artist in the history of Oz music.

What do others think??

Sounds like another thread in the making...I'd have to agree with Alister, except I'd  bring it down to a more personal level, being a non-OZ fan. Oils have informed my tastes and dominated my musical landscape for the past 15 years or so, at least as far as music with lyrics goes. But as for primal influence, I'd have to say no, earlier influences were already entrenched. I cut my teeth on 1960's pop/rock - probably the same kind of stuff as the Oils themselves. Obviously these musical forces set me up to appreciate and love the Oils. They have definitely enriched my life and helped me understand and clarify my point of view on all that eco stuff too, and I thank God for 'em...

cheers,

bruce in calgary

--0-23325519-1037115323=:23464

<P><B><I>Alister Thomas &lt;a_thomas@bigpond.net.au&gt;</I></B> wrote:<BR><BR>My own opinion on this matter is that the Oils (great, though they are!) <BR>aren't eligible for title of most influential artist of all time. I think a <BR>more sensible assessment of their place in the history of music would be to <BR>set their importance in the context of Australian music - in this sense I <BR>would say that they're one of the most important (if not, *the* most <BR>important) artist in the history of Oz music.<BR><BR>What do others think??</P>
<P><EM>Sounds like another thread in the making...I'd have to agree with Alister, except I'd&nbsp;&nbsp;bring it down to a more personal level, being a non-OZ fan.&nbsp;Oils have informed my tastes and dominated my musical landscape for the past 15 years or so, at least as far as music with lyrics goes. But as for primal influence, I'd have to say no, earlier influences were already&nbsp;entrenched.&nbsp;I cut my teeth on&nbsp;1960's pop/rock&nbsp;- probably the same kind of stuff as the Oils themselves. Obviously these musical forces set me up to appreciate and love the Oils. They have definitely enriched my life and helped me&nbsp;understand and clarify&nbsp;my point of view on all that eco stuff too, and I thank God for 'em...</EM></P>
<P><EM>cheers,</EM></P>
--0-23325519-1037115323=:23464--