Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Jim and the Other Guy revisited

craiggy@ozemail.com.au craiggy@ozemail.com.au
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:01:19 +1100

------=____1037055679217_yZbVF9UYPV

You are right that it is not the Oily in sound, but I think that the some of the tricks and ploys played out on the this techno ramble sound pretty fresh, and the sounds and effects created could translate very well into some of the Oils more ambient pieces (eg. Great Gibber Plain -RW single version, Poets and Slaves....)

> From: Bruce Robertson <the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca>
> Subject: [Powderworks] Jim and the Other Guy revisited
> Date: 12/11/2002 6:28:15
> To: Craig Lawton <craiggy@ozemail.com.au>
> CC: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
>

> Craig Lawton <craiggy@ozemail.com.au> wrote:I don't know if I should mention it, but Jim's little techno samples on the site, "Me and the Other Guy", are actually him and his son, playing around together,which I thought was absolutely cool. What a Dad! I must say he is so friendly and geniunely interested in people, even if he is not as baby-faced as he used to be. :-) Thanks for clarifying Craig. I thought that was a likely explanation for an otherwise very un-Oily bit of music. It definitely wasn't toward my tastes, and I would have been completely traumatized if it had turned up on an Oils recording. Knowing for sure it was a father-son collaboration helps - all can be forgiven! In fact, it sounds like something my sons would like.  In truth, I was fearing that our rabbinic-looking hero had been left alone for too long in the studio with a midi-sampler (aka devil's sex toy)  and I do hate it when that happens to perfectly good guitarists. On the positive side, did you cat!
>  ch the little bird noises? Reminded  me a bit of Crocodile Cries, but with that cloying techno-mantra vibe...sorry, didn't mean to froth. BTW Does anyone know how old Jim's son is? CraigPS: Stop the flaming! Amen! In the name of all that's good and decent in Oils music, let's not start another bloody American Civil War. Remember, bruce in calgary
>

> ---------------------------------

------=____1037055679217_yZbVF9UYPV

<P><B><I>Craig Lawton &lt;craiggy@ozemail.com.au&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I don't know if I should mention it, but Jim's little techno samples on the site, "Me and the Other Guy", are actually him and his son, playing around together,which I thought was absolutely cool. What a Dad! I must say he is so friendly and geniunely interested in people, even if he is not as baby-faced as he used to be. :-)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for clarifying Craig. I thought that was a likely explanation for an otherwise&nbsp;very un-Oily bit of music. It definitely wasn't toward my tastes, and I would have been completely traumatized if it had turned up on an Oils recording. Knowing for sure it was a father-son collaboration helps - all can be forgiven! In fact, it sounds like something my sons would like.&nbsp; In truth, I&nbsp;was fearing that our rabbinic-looking hero had been left alone for too long in the studio with a midi-sampler (aka devil's sex toy)&nbsp; and I do hate it when that happens to perfectly good guitarists. On the positive side, did you catch the little bird noises? Reminded&nbsp; me a bit of Crocodile Cries, but with&nbsp;that cloying&nbsp;techno-mantra vibe...sorry, didn't mean to froth.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>BTW Does anyone know how old Jim's son is?</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Craig</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>PS: Stop the flaming!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Amen! In the name of all that's good and decent in Oils music, let's not start another bloody American Civil War.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Remember,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

------=____1037055679217_yZbVF9UYPV--