Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Oils equipment

stephen.wood@stockford.net stephen.wood@stockford.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 11:53:29 +1000

Actually, I have managed to find info on the net and the rest I have worked
out from either seeing it first hand at live shows or on TV, so here goes:

Current Equipment:
Martin - He is using a Fender Mustang as his main axe with some help from a
Gibson Les Paul. The amps he has been using for the current tour are his
trusty old Vox AC-30's (2 of them). Martin has generally always used
Washburn acoustics, but I have seen him with a Maton acoustic as well. The
intro to Bushfire is actually a Dobro which is why it sounds so
distinctive.

Jim - he is currently using a couple of Gretsch's and a couple of Les Pauls
like he always has and is also using a beautiful Rickenbacker 12 string
when playing golden age live. The amp he is using on tour at the moment is
a Fender Tonemaster Head & matching twin spk box. (Martin used this amp in
the pre Capricornia gigs in Melb and Syd last year). Jim seems to mostly
play Maton Acoustics these days.

There are many other guitars and amps that M & J use or have used in the
past which I have a fair bit of info on. Let me know if you want to know
any more.

Cheers,
Steve, the powderworks resident gearhead.

"So basically it's impossible to find anything on the net about what
equipment
the Oils use (present or past).

Is there anybody out there who might be able to enlighten me?  Maybe at
least
on what they're using onstage this tour? Specifically, I've really been
trying
to track down what sort of guitars Martin favors.  Especially his acoustic
guitars as he seems to have a penchant for playing parlor guitars (not a
very
popular guitar body style, it has a very distinctive sound...check out the
intro to "Bushfire").  I think I've seen Jim playing a parlor before, also
(or
at least some type of acoustic smaller than the standard dreadnought).

Anyway, any info would be much appreciated!"