Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Washington DC review...

Joshua Burke jburke523@yahoo.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:03:43 -0800 (PST)

What a show! I saw them live 4 times last year and I must
say last night was amazing. The new songs ROCK!!!!!!! THe
band was into it. Even James did some dancing.  The only
problem was Peter's earphone. As he said, after touring for
awhile, things break down. They got thru it.

The funny thing was when someone called out why they played
the DC show last october when there was an important horse
race or something like that. I didnt get all of it, well
Peter laughed and said "I want to know why Britney spears
and that guy broke up" GOt a great laugh from the crowd.

The show opened with Redneck Wonderland as all of the show
so far then went into TOO MUCH SUNSHINE then into UNDER THE
OVERPASS-What a great song then into FORGOTTEN YEARS.
ROb came up front for the acoustic part of the show.
LORITJA WAY (MY FAVORITE SONG FROM THE NEW ALBUM) kicked
off the acoustic rocking part of the show. A Great suprise
followed SHIPS OF FREEDOM then into WARAKURNA and into BLUE
SKY MINE.

Rob got back behind the kit and they kicked into SAY YOUR
PRAYERS-GOLDEN AGE-BEEN AWAY TOO LONG-ONLY THE STRONG(the
only pre-diesel and dust song of the night but amazing
nonetheless. AFter that DEAD HEART-KING OF THE MT-BEDS ARE
BURNING-DREAMWORLD--To end an amazing set. The crowd was
going crazy-chanting OILS, OILS!!!!!!!!!!!  They came back
on with James on the organ and they played POETS AND
SLAVES-(what an amazing song)TRUGANINI-TONE POEM and to
finish off a great night- SOMETIMES.

THE crowd wanted more, we almost had it but i saw the
manager motioned to the sound guy to start the club music
and to turn on the lights after about 2 minutes of more
chanting while the roadies just waited in the wings.

BUt what  a night!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh

=====