Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] RE: Goanna

Sue and Leigh Atkinson sl.atkinson@bigpond.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:20:36 +1000

Hi there, I have a question about this group Goanna...
is this the band that did a song called "Solid Rock"
(I think)? I remember hearing just the one song,
performed at Oz For Africa (along with Live Aid) back
in 1985... I thought it was an awesome song, but I was
never able to find out about it.  If this is the same
band, can anyone point me to more information about
them, or where I can get a hold of some of their
music?

Many thanks in advance,
Gavin

G'day gavin
snipet from allmusic.com

Although formed in 1977 by guitarist Shane Howard, it was the 1982 hit
single "Solid Rock" and album Spirit of Place that gave Goanna national
prominence in Australia.
Keyboardist and vocalist Rose Bygrave joined the band in 1979, and with
Warwick Harwood (lead guitar, vocals), Ian Morrison (vocals, harmonica),
Carl Smith (bass), and Gary Crothall (drums), recorded the independent 12"
EP Livin' on the Razor's Edge.

Goanna signed to WEA in 1981 and supported James Taylor's Australian tour.
Despite reluctance from WEA, the group's defining single, "Solid Rock", was
released in October 1982, a damning rock song about the European invasion of
Australia. A surprise hit, it peaked at number three on the national
Australian charts and would later appear on the 1989 Building Bridges album
with various other artists.

Their debut full-length album, Spirit of Place, was released in December
1982 and reached number three on the national charts. An ever-changing
lineup saw Harwood leave the band and backing vocalist Suzie Dickinson join
soon after its release.

In May 1983, Goanna issued the single "Let the Franklin Flow" under the
pseudonym Gordon Franklin and the Wilderness Ensemble in support of the
Tasmanian Wilderness Society's campaign against the proposed damming of
Tasmania's Franklin River. The single reached number 12 on the national
charts.

Their final album, Oceania, was released in April 1985 and peaked at number
20 during May. A national tour was halted in September 1985 when Shane
Howard went missing, causing $20,000 worth of bookings to be canceled. His
departure signaled the end of the band. It later transpired that he had gone
to South Australia, probably due to disillusionment caused by constant
touring, band debts, and an unstable band lineup

cheers Leigh