Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] HOB Hollywood Show

Bawolski@aol.com Bawolski@aol.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:03:52 EST

First of all let me get my whining out of the way.  I noticed from the set
lists
posted for Anaheim and San Diego the Oils played around 21 or 22 songs.
At the Hollywood show, which cost at least 10 bucks more than those other
two shows, we got 19.  In fact, before the encore the Oils played for around
an hour and 15 minutes.  The encore added another 15 or 20.  I was a little
surprised by the brevity of the show (the last time I saw the Who, they
played
two and a half, and they're in their mid-fifties!).  Can't figure the 10
extra bucks
for less Oils.  The opening act (Eliminators?) were a local surf band that
played
for almost an hour, which to me was around 45 minutes too long (sorry surf
music fans but they all started to sound the same).

OK, had to get that off my chest.  As for the Oils show,  incredible, as
usual.
They sounded very tight, were really having a good time, and seemed to be in
a more playful mood than usual - Rob smiling the whole time, Martin smiling
quite a bit, Jim smiled! (I think).  Peter didn't really rant too much, most
of the
stuff he talked about was more lighthearted than usual.  He did introduce
Dreamworld with a poem about O.J. Simpson, which was strange.  I get the
feeling that, judging by the band's attitude and the greatest hits feel of
the
show, they are really trying to reconnect with the U.S. audience - not
just the diehards but the more casual fans who may have slipped away.

The setlist is from memory, I think it's pretty accurate but  may not be in
order:

Redneck Wonderland
Too Much Sunshine
Under the Overpass
Bullroarer
Dreamworld
Luritja Way
Time to Heal
Short Memory
Blue Sky Mining
Say Your Prayers
Golden Age
Only the Strong
King of the Mountain
The Dead Heart
Sometimes

Tone Poem
Power and the Passion
Beds Are Burning

Read About It

Out of 19 songs, 15 came from 10 to 1, D&D and Capricornia, and nothing
from before 10 to 1 was played (see what I mean about the greatest hits feel
of the show besides the new tunes).

Someone asked about the Oils month-long break starting next week before they
resume the tour.  I asked the person who runs the sound board what the band's
plans were during that time, and he said they were going to go back to
Australia.

And finally, Ben in NY asked about the merchandise situation.  They had the
black and white tee shirts that Doug mentions in his post, the baseball caps
with the Sprint logo, and also some keychains.  That was about it.

Please don't get me wrong about my whining in the first paragraph, it was a
great,
great show.  I just think with 3 or 4 more tunes, like Anaheim got, it would
have
been perfect.

Mike