Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] nmoc duh-the chronicles of golf

fluw fluwdot@earthlink.net
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:02:36 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_007D_01C1D0D0.4A809400

<<We're not talking vanalism on the scale of Prince William Sound or the =
deforestation rate of the Amazon here! Golf courses are, in the whole =
scheme of things pretty small. It makes no sence whatsoever for green =
keepers to use more fertilzers and chemicals that they do, if for no =
other reason than he economic cost. And I am sure there are courses that =
haven't done all they can to minimise there impact on the environment. I =
think this is a trend that can and will become less prevelant as time =
goes on. But what I do think (and this based on no facts at all) is that =
the area that is affected due to golf course existance would be so =
minimal that I find it a bit of a joke that a boycott is called for! =
Especially by a rock band!>>

nobody suggested that the oils boycott golf did they?=20
the amazon?! - the majority of people in developed nations still think =
the amazon is insignificant and couldn't give a hoot.

<<"Golf courses are, in the whole scheme of things pretty small">>???=20

cutting forests in the amazon was pretty small at one time also.
the entire east coast of america (now a giant christmas tree)=20
http://www.darksky.org/ida/images/satelite/usa_nobound.jpg
was once a seemingly endless impenetrable forest. =20

actually, golf courses are a trend with a voracious momentum. and by =
isolating individual courses and highlighting a cursory examination of =
their local impacts in order to apply their "minimal" impact as a =
rational for approval of the whole is a recipe for disaster. the size of =
the impact may seem to be relative only to the immediate environment, =
but this is not so.=20
I live near austin texas which is built on land that drains into an =
aquifer (edwards aquifer) that stretches for hundreds of miles. the city =
of austin has strict building and runoff control regulations due to this =
aquifer.
   =20
we must remind ourselves that we are a part of a system, a body. we =
should not let ourselves become a cancer.=20

todd - apologies to those who couldn't give a FUCK about all this =20

------=_NextPart_000_007D_01C1D0D0.4A809400

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCourier size=3D2>&lt;&lt;We're not talking vanalism on =
the scale=20
of Prince William Sound or the deforestation rate of the Amazon here! =
Golf=20
courses are, in the whole scheme of things pretty small. It makes no =
sence=20
whatsoever for green keepers to use more fertilzers and chemicals that =
they do,=20
if for no other reason than he economic cost. And I am sure there are =
courses=20
that haven't done all they can to minimise there impact on the =
environment. I=20
think this is a trend that can and will become less prevelant as time =
goes on.=20
But what I do think (and this based on no facts at all) is that the area =
that is=20
affected due to golf course existance would be so minimal that I find it =
a bit=20
of a joke that a boycott is called for! Especially by a rock=20
band!&gt;&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>nobody&nbsp;suggested that the oils =
boycott=20
golf&nbsp;did they?&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>the amazon?! -&nbsp;the majority =
of&nbsp;people in=20
developed nations still think the amazon is insignificant&nbsp;and =
couldn't give=20
a hoot.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&lt;&lt;"Golf courses are, in =
the&nbsp;whole scheme=20
of things pretty small"&gt;&gt;??? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>cutting forests in the amazon was =
pretty small at=20
one time&nbsp;also.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>the&nbsp;entire east coast of america =
(now a giant=20
christmas tree) </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.darksky.org/ida/images/satelite/usa_nobound.jpg">http:=
//www.darksky.org/ida/images/satelite/usa_nobound.jpg</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>was once a seemingly endless =
impenetrable=20
forest.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>actually, golf courses are a trend with =
a voracious=20
momentum. and by isolating individual courses and highlighting a cursory =

examination of their local impacts&nbsp;in order to apply their =
"minimal" impact=20
as a rational for approval of the whole is&nbsp;a recipe for =
disaster.&nbsp;the=20
size of the impact&nbsp;may seem to be relative&nbsp;only to the =
immediate=20
environment, but&nbsp;this is not so. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I live near austin texas which is built =
on land=20
that drains into an aquifer (edwards aquifer) that stretches for =
hundreds of=20
miles. the city&nbsp;of austin&nbsp;has strict building and runoff =
control=20
regulations&nbsp;due to this aquifer.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>we must remind ourselves =
that&nbsp;we&nbsp;are a=20
part of a system, a body.&nbsp;we should not let ourselves become a =
cancer.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>todd - apologies to those who couldn't =
give=20
a&nbsp;<FONT face=3DWingdings>FUCK</FONT> about all this&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_007D_01C1D0D0.4A809400--