Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Golf?

Geoffrey Holland geoff13@shaw.ca
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:15:21 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_TL4dcsNB7gSXjISx9fFoCQ)

Another point I can make about golf course. Many courses in the last 20 years or so have been built on totally reclaimed land such as old landfills and quarries. Would you rather see a huge stinking pile of garbage or a safely built properly constructed golf course that adds to the beauty of the area and creates jobs?

Geoffrey

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bawolski@aol.com
  To: kate@dnki.net ; powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
  Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 9:50 PM
  Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Golf?

  In a message dated 3/20/2002 9:04:00 AM Pacific Standard Time, kate@dnki.net writes:

    I'm a little disillusioned from the human rights standpoint as well as the
    environmental damage angle.  In developing nations, small farmers are
    forcibly run off their lands with little or no compensation to build golf
    courses that feed no one.  Then their daughters are essentially
    economically enslaved as "caddies", who not only cart the bags, but are
    obliged to end each round with a hole in one, as it were.

  I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a golfer, I've played a few times (never had
  a caddy though), but I don't understand your logic here.  What you describe is a
  terrible thing, obviously.  But does that make golf evil?  Is the game of golf the
  oppressor of these people?  What if they were taking these farmers land and
  building rock and roll concert halls.  Would I be participating in something evil
  by going to see the Oils tomorrow night?

  Mike

--Boundary_(ID_TL4dcsNB7gSXjISx9fFoCQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Another point I can make about golf course. Many
courses in the last 20 years or so have been built on totally reclaimed land
such as old landfills and quarries. Would you rather see a huge stinking pile of
garbage or a safely built properly constructed golf course that adds to the
beauty of the area and creates jobs?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Geoffrey</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
  <A title=Bawolski@aol.com href="mailto:Bawolski@aol.com">Bawolski@aol.com</A>
  </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=kate@dnki.net
  href="mailto:kate@dnki.net">kate@dnki.net</A> ; <A
  title=powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
  href="mailto:powderworks@cs.colorado.edu">powderworks@cs.colorado.edu</A>
  </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, March 20, 2002 9:50
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Powderworks] Golf?</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT lang=0 face=Arial size=2
  FAMILY="SANSSERIF">In a message dated 3/20/2002 9:04:00 AM Pacific Standard
  Time, <A href="mailto:kate@dnki.net">kate@dnki.net</A> writes:<BR><BR><BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE
  style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"
  TYPE="CITE">I'm a little disillusioned from the human rights standpoint as
    well as the <BR>environmental damage angle.&nbsp; In developing nations,
    small farmers are <BR>forcibly run off their lands with little or no
    compensation to build golf <BR>courses that feed no one.&nbsp; Then their
    daughters are essentially <BR>economically enslaved as "caddies", who not
    only cart the bags, but are <BR>obliged to end each round with a hole in
    one, as it were.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>I'll preface this by saying that I'm
  not a golfer, I've played a few times (never had<BR>a caddy though), but I
  don't understand your logic here.&nbsp; What you describe is a<BR>terrible
  thing, obviously.&nbsp; But does that make golf evil?&nbsp; Is the game of
  golf the <BR>oppressor of these people?&nbsp; What if they were taking these
  farmers land and <BR>building rock and roll concert halls.&nbsp; Would I be
  participating in something evil<BR>by going to see the Oils tomorrow
  night?<BR><BR>Mike<BR><BR></FONT><FONT lang=0
  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face="Lucida Handwriting" color=#0000ff
  size=4 FAMILY="SCRIPT"><B><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></B></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_TL4dcsNB7gSXjISx9fFoCQ)--