Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] the quinella came in today -- or at least a daily double

leftjab leftjab@well.com
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:47:55 -0800

if life always worked like this:  I get up an hour early, drive 25 miles
past work through crazy traffic to get to a KFOG ticket giveaway location
open from 8:30 - 9:30 am at around 8:35 am, to find about 50 people
standing around a box filled with handwritten entries for the
giveaway.  they are drawing names every 2 minutes for an hour.  I quickly
scribble my name & info, drop in my entry form, and about a minute later,
at their next drawing, my name is picked!  Instant Karma, I'm seeing the
Oils next Friday!  The crowd groaned and asked the woman to shake the box
with the entries next time.  Someone suggested I enter the lottery.  I
grabbed the tickets, dashed for the car and made it to work at 9:15, well
within acceptable arriving time, and barely having to worry about waiting
for tix empty-handed for an hour (and having to try again) and getting to
work late.

almost forgotten is my embarrassment earlier this week when i called up the
radio station during a "name the next line of the song lyric" contest,
managed not to get a busy signal and be questioned, and then choking on a
Pink Floyd lyric I knew.  I did manage at least to get one Beatles song
lyric right, and I would've missed one of the later lyrics anyway (a
Journey song, ugh) and missed out on the tickets, but I was kicking myself
all week.

the things we do for tickets.  it's easier just to pay and know you are
getting them.  there are a few more giveaways before the show, and i advise
any bay area p'workers to get there early to maximize their chances.

the gates to the Paramount Great America amusement park open at 5 pm; the
show is general admission, first come first served, at 7 pm, with the doors
to the theatre inside the park opened at 6:30.  the theater won't hold
everyone who is getting free tickets, but since the virtually empty
amusement park is the big attraction for many of the random winners of the
contest, I don't expect that any Oils fans who wins will have any problem
making it in.

to add the cherry on top, tonight there's a post to the list about a real
San Francisco show on May 7 (it could be the Fillmore again, as they have
nothing scheduled that night, but that's the next question).  what a day,
getting tickets for my 11th Oils show, and finding out about my likely 12th.

Jonathan