Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Another Capricornia opinion

Jussi Korhonen jussihk@kolumbus.fi
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:57:11 +0200

I've been listening to Capricornia for a week now, and I thought I'd write
a few lines about it. My net connection has been down for the past 3 weeks
so I'm only catching up on other people's reviews now..

Got my copy from Whammo and they included the Golden Age single too. I
hadn't heard any of the songs before, not even the live versions so every
song on the album is new to me. That's quite something. Anyway I really
like the sound on the album, easily the best the Oils have ever done in my
opinion. Especially the guitars and the vocals. As for the songs, my
favourites are Luritja Way and Tone Poem. Great pair of songs there. Too
Much Sunshine would be truly outstanding if it only had one more verse, but
I quite like it this way too. Reminds me of Mr. Doomsday. Golden Age,
Capricornia and  Mosquito March are all good  Been Away Too Long or World
That I See do not sound as good as the other songs, but I think World That
I See needs to grow on me first.. I hated it at first but not any longer.
(But does anyone else hear "there's no air" in the chorus?) Unfortunately,
I can't say I like Under the Overpass or Poets & Slaves.. especially
Overpass is really tedious and I end up skipping to the next song since it
takes too long to start. And I can't stand the chorus. But overall I think
the album is excellent - quite a welcome change after the previous full
studio album. Wouldn't mind if it was a bit longer though, if I skip
Overpass it only leaves about 35 minutes.

There's this one thing again - I don't know if the album has a "hit song"
that the band might need overseas. Maybe Too Much Sunshine?

Jussi