Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Malcolm Burn & Breathe

Julian Shaw julian@monkeyfamily.freeserve.co.uk
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:17:12 -0000

Malcom Burn made Breathe sound very much like a Tragically Hip or Neil Young
album. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this. The Hip's Day for Night
album especially is very much along the same sort of vein. Very live
sounding, grungy in parts, thick bassy distortion, thin drum sound and very
rough around the edges (keeeping some bum notes in there!). Awesome album
but it's not very immediate (like Breathe). Similar as well to Neil Young
with his Crazy Horse stuff. I recall that Malcom got a mention (a thanks I
think) in one of the Hips albums but other than that I don't think there is
a connection.

Any other fans of The Hip on the list?

Julian Lewis Shaw
Man, Myth or Monkey? Find out:
http://www.jlshaw.co.uk
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Scott" <nornirn@lycos.co.uk>
To: <powderworks@cs.colorado.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 7:36 AM
Subject: [Powderworks] Malcolm Burn & Breathe

I was wondering does anyone know much about the Breath
producer Malcolm Burn? I seem to remember reading
somewhere that the band were not very happy with his
recording techniques. I am a big fan of a Belgian band called
Zita Swoon whos' "I paint pictures on a wedding dress" was
produced by Malcolm Burn. They were so unhappy with the
production that they went straight into the studio and made a
mini album of new tracks without him, and in doing so,
capturing the sound that they had originally wanted. It was
only made available free with the first few copies of the CD. (I
have been trying to find it for ages now).
They had said that he was a control freak. This is from one of
their websites.
"This is surprisingly upbeat, recorded in New Orleans and
mixed by Malcolm Burn. After the initial shock wears off, the
album receives an excellent reception and reaches gold within
a year. A limited edition version of the album was released
which included 'The Sound Hobbyist', a 9-track mini-album.
Zita Swoon were quite unhappy with the way that Malcolm
Burn had chosen to produce their album and this was their own
offering to their fans."
I was wondering if anyone has any info on the recording
process of Breathe?
Cheers
Stephen
"This is a mad house..."