Midnight Oil

SV: [Powderworks] Golden Age riff in Poets and Slaves

Bjorn Blomquist bjorn.blomquist@mbox301.swipnet.se
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 17:11:15 +0100

> > Anyone pick up on the de-doo-doo-de-doo part in Poets and Slaves seems
> > very close to the guitar riff for Golden Age?

No, but I think that the same riff appears more or less varied here and there on the album.

Haven't you noticed that the riff in "World that I see" before the last chorus is very similar to the intro and outro of "King of the mountain", or should we say a mix between that song and "Forgotten years"?

> Sort of.........the guitar riffs towards the end of P&S are very Pink
> Floyd-like to my ears

Funny you say that, because I've heard something Pink Floydish about that song as well, not necessarily those riffs you are talking about. Do you mean right at the end, *after* the piano melody, the reprise of "Crocodile cries"?

"Poets and slaves" is a great song! It has an interesting musical structure which changes much throughout the song. Anyone else who has noticed a touch of The Doors in the "bluesy" part of it?
But where have I heard that guitar figure from the chorus before?

'Capricornia' grows with each listening, and now I think it's an excellent album! I still think the first half are stronger, but the only song that I don't really like is "Been away too long".
The best work from the Oils since almost 10 years, that's not bad!

Best songs: "Tone poem", "Poets and slaves", "Luritja way" and tracks 1-3 belong there too!
Worst song: "Been away too long" (I'd say "Mosquito march" at second...)

/Bjorn