Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils and other Aussie bands in Seattle

Andy Gillcrist andrewg@nwlink.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:52:07 -0700

Hey all,

So the Oils played an awesome show in Seattle a couple months ago,
downtown at the Moore Theater.  I was about halfway back on the
floor and a bit to the right, just under the edge of the balcony,
with my wife and a couple of friends.

Then, a few weeks later, I was back at the Moore with my wife (and
kids this time), sitting in almost exactly the same spot, to see
another great Australian band:  The Wiggles!

They were in fine form, rocking non-stop through all their greatest
hits.  I was too excited to remember the setlist, but it was kinda
like this:

In the Big Red Car We Like to Ride
Wiggly Party
Wake Up Jeff
Run Around Run Run
Hey Hey Hey, We're All Pirate Dancing
Hot Potato
Cluck, Cluck, Cluck, Cock-a-Doodle-Doo
We're Dancing With Wags the Dog

and a few others I can't remember now.  I was kinda bummed that
they didn't play Fruit Salad, my all-time favorite, but given the
younger nature of most of the crowd, they kept the set on the
shorter side.

Cluck, Cluck, Cluck was great.  Featuring Captain Feathersword,
who sang the clucking parts in the styles of various well-known
rock stars:  Mick Jagger, Elvis, the Teletubbies (Po!), etc. as
the audience yelled them out.  I was gonna yell "PETER GARRETT!!"
but they were moving on to the next song already.

The best part was when I got to meet Murray, the lead guitarist.
He came walking up the aisle right by me, so I stuck out my hand
and said "g'day," and he grinned and shook my hand and said
"G'day!" right back.  Wow!!!  Wish I'd bought a t-shirt, I coulda
had him sign it.

The Wiggles have collaborated with the likes of Slim Dusty, Tim
Finn, and Rolf Harris (complete with wobbleboard!).  There are
lots of audio clips on their website, www.thewiggles.com.au so
go have a listen.

They are touring the Midwest USA and Canada in August, New
Zealand in September, and the East Coast in November.  Check 'em
out if they're in a town near you!  Oh yeah... your kids might
even like them.

	Andy