Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: NMOC...Yucca Mountain

Unpage@aol.com Unpage@aol.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:09:55 -0400

<<This is just crazy. Have these people not heard of the First Amendment? Do they tell you how to vote as well? Who do you work for anyways?>>

The first amendment prohibits the government from supressing speech -- it does not extend such protection to individuals or organizations.

I don't condone Lina's company's policy -- not in the least -- but what they did is perfectly legal in the U.S.  Just a week or two ago a federal appeals court upheld the right of a Florida company to dismiss an employee involved in political protests that were contrary to the company's positions.  The basic thrust of the ruling (from my reading) was that employment was not a right, and that the company should not be forced to employ someone acting against what the company believed to be in its best interests.

No flames, please -- I think this type of policy is wrong-headed at best, and very short-sighted.  But they are far more prevalent than you would thing.

Regards,
John Welk
unpage@aol.com