Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] The new songs

Bjorn Blomquist bjorn.blomquist@mbox301.swipnet.se
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:07:30 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01C1A40E.EA055540

I finally was able to hear the two songs at theoils.net yesterday. Only =
once so far though.

I think "Golden age" is the stronger of them. Maybe it's because I had =
heard it before, but I think it is more catchy. The guitar hook (riff, =
lick whatever) is similar to the one in "Forgotten years". Also, the =
whole song is in the style of "Spirit of the Age" from the last album. =
The word "age" in both of them...

I agree with those who said that "Too much sunshine" sounds like 'Head =
Injuries', at least the intro is in the same style as "No reaction" or =
"No time for games". I've only heard the song once, but I still remember =
the chorus melody. A good thing? I don't know, I'm afraid it means that =
the song is too simple then and that it won't last that long. The chorus =
just repeated the title phrase a few times and that was also the case =
with many songs on 'Breathe' and 'Redneck Wonderland', and "Last of the =
diggers". Is that a sign of lack of inspiration, lack of musical ideas? =
This kind of "phenomenon" seems common at the end of other bands' =
careers as well, so no offense to the Oils.=20

I like both of these songs, and the ones I've heard earlier as well. =
Good production, thanks to Warne Livesey we hear a sound that dates back =
to 'DAD' and 'BSM' (and Head Injuries!). At least that's what I hear. =
Unfortunately, the sound quality wasn't good when I listened to the =
files. It's the connection of my parents' computer I guess.

Looking forward to hear the new album! Sounds like the guys are finally =
getting it right.

/Bjorn

PS. I listened to 'Breathe' a few days ago and made the decision: it is =
better than 'RW'. At least more enjoyable to listen to. When I last =
heard RW it mostly left me cold.

------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01C1A40E.EA055540

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I finally was able to hear the two =
songs at=20
theoils.net yesterday. Only once so far though.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think "Golden age" is the stronger of =
them. Maybe=20
it's because I had heard it before, but I think it is more catchy. The=20
guitar&nbsp;hook (riff, lick whatever) is similar to the one&nbsp;in =
"Forgotten=20
years". Also, the whole song is in the style of "Spirit of the Age" from =
the=20
last album. The word "age" in both of them...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I agree with those who said that "Too =
much=20
sunshine" sounds like 'Head Injuries', at least the intro is in the same =
style=20
as "No reaction" or "No time for games". I've only heard the song once, =
but I=20
still remember the chorus melody. A good thing? I don't know, I'm afraid =
it=20
means that the song is too simple then and that it won't last that long. =
The=20
chorus just repeated the title phrase a few times and that was also the =
case=20
with many songs on 'Breathe' and 'Redneck Wonderland', and "Last of the=20
diggers". Is that a sign of lack of inspiration, lack of musical ideas? =
This=20
kind of "phenomenon" seems common at the end of other bands' careers as =
well, so=20
no offense to the Oils. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I like both of these songs, and the =
ones I've heard=20
earlier as well. Good production, thanks to Warne Livesey we hear a =
sound that=20
dates back to 'DAD' and 'BSM' (and Head Injuries!). At least that's what =
I hear.=20
Unfortunately, the sound quality wasn't good when I listened to the =
files. It's=20
the connection of my parents' computer I guess.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Looking forward to hear the new album! =
Sounds like=20
the guys are finally getting it right.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>/Bjorn</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>PS. I listened to 'Breathe' a few days =
ago and made=20
the decision: it is better than 'RW'. At least more enjoyable to listen =
to. When=20
I last heard RW it mostly left me cold.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01C1A40E.EA055540--