Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Best Oils album for introduction

Lina Yune midoil2001@yahoo.com.au
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 05:56:27 +1100 (EST)

--0-1174393987-1011725787=:75602

Last week I performed an "introductory" experiment at work.  I sit in the small office, and have 2 ladies sharing it with me.  One lady (and I was really surprised) really liked 20K RSL and the songs that she liked the most were really originally from RWL.  The second lady liked the ESM and Breathe (she listens to country).  The young girl next door likes them all, and hopes she has the baby before the Oils shows, so she can go see them too. (she is into Dead, Blue Oyster Cult, Steppenwolf, and Southern rock). Last time they were in Chicago, she was in jail for DUI (and pregnant).

The office manager (who had her door closed the whole time) now thinks I am "really weird" and "foreign" - her exact words.  (she likes Brittney Spears, and whatever new is on everyday TV).  However, I don't really take her opinion to heart, because I reckon about a year ago, she frantically ran into my office thinking she has a "foreign language speaking individual" on the phone.  (I speak few languages)  She wanted me to try and see if I could translate.  I picked up the line - and it was a client from Dewalt, Box Hill AUSTRALIA! speaking the coolest dialect that I had no problems understanding.  He then instantly became "my case".  Actually, that's the client who just loves the Oils, and we talk more about Oils now than business.

Bruce wrote:

Good point. My students responded enthusiastically to the edginess of RWL, but
sometimes have trouble at getting past the "80's" label of older stuff. Funny
how these labels get dreamed up and applied, eh? GReat thing about the Oils
music - like all truly great stuff IMO - is that it's got something new for you
each time you listen.

Cheers,

bruce

ps would you introduce Breathe first to a friend who likes Hank Williams? just
curious.

Lina

Where is the ground, the beloved country? Women and men who have fallen silent Where are the words that can speak forgiveness? Now is the time Now is the time Now is the time to heal

Midnight Oil

---------------------------------
My Yahoo!- It's My Yahoo! Get your own!
--0-1174393987-1011725787=:75602

<P>Last week I performed an "introductory" experiment at work.&nbsp; I sit in the small office, and have 2 ladies sharing it with me.&nbsp; One lady (and I was really surprised) really liked 20K RSL and the songs that she liked the most were really originally from RWL.&nbsp; The second lady liked the ESM and Breathe (she listens to country).&nbsp; The young girl next door likes them all, and hopes she has the baby before the Oils shows, so she can go see them too.&nbsp;(she is into Dead, Blue Oyster Cult, Steppenwolf, and Southern&nbsp;rock).&nbsp;Last time they were in Chicago, she was in jail for DUI (and pregnant).</P>
<P>The office manager (who had her door closed the whole time) now thinks I am "really weird" and "foreign" - her exact words.&nbsp; (she likes Brittney Spears, and whatever new is on everyday TV).&nbsp; However, I don't really take her opinion to heart, because I reckon about a year ago, she frantically ran into my office thinking she has a "foreign language speaking individual" on the phone.&nbsp; (I speak few languages)&nbsp; She wanted me to try and see if I could translate.&nbsp; I picked up the line - and it was a client from Dewalt, Box Hill&nbsp;AUSTRALIA! speaking the coolest dialect that I had no problems understanding.&nbsp; He then instantly became "my case".&nbsp; Actually, that's the client who just loves the Oils, and we talk more about Oils now than business.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Bruce wrote:</P>
<P>Good point. My students responded enthusiastically to the edginess of RWL, but<BR>sometimes have trouble at getting past the "80's" label of older stuff. Funny<BR>how these labels get dreamed up and applied, eh? GReat thing about the Oils<BR>music - like all truly great stuff IMO - is that it's got something new for you<BR>each time you listen.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>bruce<BR><BR>ps would you introduce Breathe first to a friend who likes Hank Williams? just<BR>curious.<BR></P><BR><BR><P>Lina</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><EM>Where is the ground, the beloved country? Women and men who have fallen silent Where are the words that can speak forgiveness? Now is the time Now is the time Now is the time to heal </P>
- It's My Yahoo! Get your own!
--0-1174393987-1011725787=:75602--