Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Moral question?

Melissa Higuchi leppo@pobox.com
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 16:20:42 -0000

"Tari, Vince" <fstariv1@NMHG.com> said:

> > I was wondering what people here thought about it. I know if
> > someone found a 3 track master tape of unreleased Oils songs
> > from 19 years ago, and wanted to copy and sell it on at an
> > inflated price, I would have to buy it, even though it meant the
> > band not getting any royalties. This is just because I love all
> > the Oils songs. I cannot find one single song of theirs that I do
> > not like. (I would always offer to buy them a drink when I see
> > them). Are there any Powderworkers who would not buy it as
> > it would not be what the band wanted?
> > Just wondering. I doubt it will ever happen (unfortunately).
> > See ya
> > Stephen
>
> If I had some unreleased Oils tracks in my possession, I would feel it would
> be my honourable duty to run it past them before I would release them.

I'd agree with this. Interesting because it's kind of the opposite of what I
usually run into which has more to do with concert taping where they have the
artist's permission but it's probably illegal to do due to licensing
restrictions.

> If they said it would be OK, i'd release it and donate all profits to a
> charity of the Oils' choice.
> No way I could live with myself profiteering (nice pun hey ?) from the work
> of my all time favourite musicians.

if they were ok with it and didn't require a large $$ amount of royalties.
I'd probably collect donations til we hit that point and then set up a tree
so that folks could get it (almost) for free. Good for the fans and it would
kill most of the value of it as a "rare bootleg" thing that would show up on
ebay.

if they were against it i would probably not buy one although that wouldn't
stop me from trying to hear it somehow.

melissa