Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Best Oils album for introduction

Tim Clausz tclausz@hotmail.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:50:23 -0500

I agree that you must take the listener's musical tastes into account when
you lend them some Oils...

I was putting together a few CDs (really just a compilation of some great
songs) for a friend of mine who always claimed not to like the Oils.  He
joked with me and told me not to put any Midnight Oil on them.  I knew that
my friend would like the sounds on Redneck Wonderland, so I put Cemetery in
My Mind on there.  He did like it, but didn’t make a big deal out of it.
However, when I showed him the video for Redneck Wonderland, he told me that
he really loved the video AND the song.

One thing that has always bugged me is that they didn’t fare better/become
more popular.  I guess most of their songs contain messages that aren’t
particularly popular, but even if you don’t listen to the words (sorry to
even SUGGEST that!), their songs are very catchy.  I am continually amazed
at how they make socially-conscious songs with great hooks and beautiful
harmony vocals.