Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Best Oils album for introduction

Andy Gillcrist andrewg@nwlink.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:26:12 -0800

I just loaned Blue Sky Mining to a friend who, up till now, had only heard
Beds Are Burning, which she liked.  I was sadly dumbfounded when she
returned it with a somewhat less than lukewarm impression, saying "it
just didn't click."  Seriously questioning her ability to judge good music, I
got her to take another chance and accept Diesel and Dust for a week,
thinking that the Oils' most popular album (most mainstream?) must have
something going for it.  Well, three weeks later she's still listening, and
doesn't want to return it!  Looks like we've got another new convert.  :)

So hmm, what to give her next?  I'm thinking 10,9,8 because of Power
& the Passion, Short Memory, and Read About It.  Hoping those are
strong enough to carry the album for her, but am worried that leading
off with Outside World won't create the best first impression, and Scream
and Somebody are, let's just say, acquired tastes.

I have to say that IMO, D&D has the most songs that'll appeal to the
unwashed masses.  I mean, every song on there is pretty much a home
run -- with only Whoah and Arctic World (both of which I love) perhaps
not standing quite as tall as the rest, but only because they don't have
that driving punching power of the others.  Beds, Dreamworld, Wara-
kurna, Dead Heart, and Sell My Soul are total smashing classics, and
Weapon, Bullroarer, and Sometimes are just as good.

But is it just me, or does Gunbarrel Highway seem like an afterthought?
I've only heard it a couple of times, and to me, it doesn't quite fit with
the character of the other songs on the album.  But what do I know?  :)

Again, this is all MHO, whatever it's worth.

	Andy

<snip>