Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Helps Me Helps You

Travis Zanoni TravisZ@actf.com.au
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:31:48 +1100

Arrrggghh.  I don't actually have a top five as such...but if I did Helps Me
would certainly be in there.  But now you've got me thinking and I'll just
have to list some of my faves.

Oils first (in no particular order)
Helps Me Helps You - amazing
Used & Abused - blistering
Surfing With A Spoon - it's got it all
Cold Cold Change - very melodic
Nothing Lost Nothing Gained - the middle one...you can feel the emotion and
frustration in it
Star Of Hope - very cool
Common Ground - smooth
Basement Flat - great interplay at the end

The recorded version is good...but at a gig, I could listen to Jim Moginie
wail away at the end of Some Kids for about 3 years straight, and still not
get tired of it.....and in 3 years the old bastard might manage to look
up..just once.

Non Oils related would have to include the late, very great, George
Harrison's work on All My Lovin'...possibly the greatest 4 note lead in to
any solo ever played!  I know it's a standard....but the solo on Stairway to
Heaven is very impressive.  Top points also go to Brad Shepherd of the Gurus
who seemed to only ever use about 5 notes in all his solos but could
rearrange them into 100 different variations.  Anything Duanne Eddy played
always sounded cool.  You can always count on Angus.....and I know it
certainly isn't cool, and probably shouldn't admit this on an Oils
list...but I've always thought the solo in My Sherona is very cool!

I'm not a huge fan of that many different players and have never really got
into the guitar as a solo instrument so I'm sure a lot of you will think I'm
crazy for leaving a lot of players out.

Now I'm sure I've forgotten plenty, especially Oils ones, and as soon as I
press send they will all come flooding back into my memory.  So....as
whenever I list fave Oil things...this is just a record of now...tomorrow
could be different.

I look forward to hearing from other fans of the six-string.