Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Helps Me Helps You

Travis Zanoni TravisZ@actf.com.au
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:59:54 +1100

Love or hate the song, you have to admit that it features an amazing guitar
solo.  One of my all time top five.  And according to Mr Rotsey it was all
in one take....played on a Fender Jaguar.  Wow!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Davies [mailto:tdav@wam.umd.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 1:57 AM
Cc: Powderworks
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Random ramblings and questions

yeah, just chiming in with what everyone else is saying about Red
Sails... Helps Me Helps You is raucous and terrible IMO, but the album as
a whole is experimental, challenging, and mostly successful. There are a
bunch of tracks that really grow on you -- for me, notably, Minutes to
Midnight, which I initially couldn't stand and now like rather a
lot.

Coincidentally I find myself listening to Red Sails today for the
first time in a few months, along with the likewise experimental and
difficult Breathe. Both albums strike me as particularly thoughtful -- of
course, all the Oils' music is pretty damn intelligent... but right now
these two albums are just interacting interestingly with my mind at a time
when I've been seeing life as a cruel joke... both these albums seem to
get at something about the absurdity and mutability of life... "there is
room for make-believe out on the ocean" ... "everybody say god is a good
man" ...

well, those are my ramblings for now ... perhaps some of you will know
what I'm getting at...

td