Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] No Time for Games

Tari, Vince fstariv1@nmhg.com
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 02:04:35 -0600

> Which also reminds me - on the way home this evening Triple J
> had a mini
> segment playing tracks which featured unusual items as
> musical instruments
> (eg: rattling train as percussion etc).

How's about the breaking glasses or Rob hitting the fire extinguisher during
the P&TP drum solo ? I would consider those unusual musical instruments
also.

> Anyway, someone rang in and swore that if you listen very
> closely (I think)
> to the Midnight Oil Bird Noises EP, you can hear the band at the very
> frontiers of early 80s musical experimentation, using a
> vibrator on one of
> their tracks! Unfortunately, it was left to the listener to
> guess which one.
> Now I have heard everything.

Now that you mentioned it, yes, that could very well be a vibrator during
the guitar solo on I'm The Cure. I always thought it sounded like some sort
of feedback and they just left it on there to capture the unique rawness of
the sound.