Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Early demo?

Travis Zanoni TravisZ@actf.com.au
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:15:17 +1100

You might want to think about what you write next time.  So all of this is
none of the band's business??  I'm sorry it's just that I thought we were
talking about a song owned by the band, written by the band, performed by
the band.........stupid me...but I thought perhaps that may make it exactly
their business.  We are talking about something that belongs to the band.
Just because we are 'hardcore' fans (whooppee!!) we have no right to do what
we wish with recordings that do not belong to us.  Unlike a bootleg of a
live gig...this recording was not a public performance.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Huddell [mailto:bhuddell@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 10:30 AM
To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: RE: [Powderworks] Early demo?

> Sorry for the late reply, but, TAKE IT OFF!!! This was not
> made for public distribution and as Travis has already said,
> its only out there because someone stole it. If you cant get
> it off I will personally take it up with the band. Justin.

Jeez.  I guess it's sort of fun having an insider on the list with us,
but this kind of scolding is a little much.  Powderworks is not
affiliated with the band in any way, and frankly, what we talk about is
really none of their business, certainly not in any proprietary sense.
If anybody has a right to play list-nanny it's Tim.  Maurice has only
his conscience to answer to, as far as I'm concerned.  I'm glad he's
decided to bow to what appear to be the band's wishes, but this business
of "taking it up with the band" really does little to enhance the kind
of free discussion a forum like this is all about.

Careful, folks, what you get up to around here:  Justin might tell THE
BAND.

> I expect a reply ASAP with good news.

Am I misreading this?  This sounds almost threatening.  You *expect* to
hear, ASAP, that your demands have been met?  Sounds like the laminate
fumes may have gone to someone's head.

Congratulations on your decision, Maurice.  I'm sorry it was accompanied
by this kind of public hand-slap.

cheers,

+brian