Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] re: what have I done??

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 18:02:20 -0500

Yeah, a friend of mine played the drums, so I knew about the practice
pads.  I figure if he continues to be interested, we'll go for the real
thing.  I guess I might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb - his
brother wants to play the pipes.  Ouch. - Beth

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu] On Behalf Of C-ko Linde
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 1:14 PM
To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: [Powderworks] re: what have I done??

As a former drummer, there is a wonderful invention that lets
percussionists
practice without breaking local noise laws - practice pads. Usually,
it's a
rectangular or round thick piece of rubber that you can hit, bot doesn't

make any sound. It also has a similar 'bounce' to regular drums, when
the
stick hits the head, etc. It'll feel more real than electronic drums
will,
at least for technique.

Also, enroll him in drum lessons! Once he has a grip on the
fundamentals,
he'll have more skills, and he can more accurately be 'Rob Hirst' when
the
mood stikes him.

We should form an army of Rob Hirst zombies,
C-ko