Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] unsupportive article

Erin Oneill Erin.Oneill@newcastle.edu.au
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:04:56 +1100

--Boundary_(ID_WuteZEc6y6JcSzYlb3FaLQ)

Tim Blair is nothing more than the male equivalent of Angela Shanahan (who =
also writes for the Australian - and is not known for her intellect).  =
Like Shanahan, his work is defined by its lack of supporting data, and =
egotistical diatibes.  The kind of person that has nothing positive, or =
useful to add to a debate - I believe that is called being part of the =
problem, not the solution.  He is one of those people that thinks if he =
says it loud enough, and with enough venom, then he is right.  I would =
like to think that most Australians see through that, but I would be =
wrong.  In effect, since the Oz got the new editor it has rapidly gone =
downhill.  The Op-ed pieces are particulary bad - the lack of factual =
content (or supporting evidence) has meant that I no longer buy that =
newspaper (I wrote to the editor once saying, I didn't care what the =
opinion was, as long as it was supported with some verifyable proof - no =
answer to that one!).  For the most thoughtful essays, I would recommend =
the Melbourne Age (theage.com.au), for international news, Sex Before =
Sport (sbs.com.au?), Australian and international news, ABC (abc.net.au), =
for obsessions with property prices, and who has what, the Sydney Morning =
Herald....

Cheerio,

Erin.

--Boundary_(ID_WuteZEc6y6JcSzYlb3FaLQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2716.2200" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Microsoft Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT=
: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Tim Blair is nothing more than the male equivalent of =
Angela=20
Shanahan (who also writes for the Australian - and is not known for her=20
intellect).&nbsp; Like Shanahan, his work is defined by its lack of =
supporting=20
data, and egotistical diatibes.&nbsp; The kind of person that has =
nothing=20
positive, or useful to add to a debate - I believe that is called being =
part of=20
the problem, not the solution.&nbsp; He is one of those people that thinks =
if he=20
says it loud enough, and with enough venom, then he is right.&nbsp; I =
would like=20
to think that most Australians see through that, but&nbsp;I would be=20
wrong.&nbsp; In effect, since the Oz got the new editor it has rapidly =
gone=20
downhill.&nbsp; The Op-ed pieces are particulary bad -&nbsp;the lack of =
factual=20
content (or supporting evidence) has meant that I no longer buy that =
newspaper=20
(I wrote to the editor once saying, I didn't care what the opinion was, as =
long=20
as it was supported with some verifyable proof - no answer to that =
one!).&nbsp;=20
For the most thoughtful essays, I would recommend the Melbourne Age=20
(theage.com.au), for international news, Sex Before Sport (sbs.com.au?),=20=

Australian and international news, ABC (abc.net.au), for obsessions =
with=20
property prices, and who has what,&nbsp;the Sydney Morning=20
Herald....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Cheerio,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Erin.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_WuteZEc6y6JcSzYlb3FaLQ)--