Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] pete's options

ribman@manthey.com.au ribman@manthey.com.au
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:25:26 +1000

since i'm in verbose mode ....
aren't we being a tad limiting on pete?
i accept the large amount of data pointing to a pollitical career as so
far noted, but aren't we being a bit like "pete belongs in this box"?
what if pete's quit to pursue a career in art?
what if he's decided to become a minister of religion?
what if he's decided to have an extended holiday with his family?
what if he's decided to just plain retire?
sure he could go on to do great things for the world by being working
in [fill in this blank], but hasn't he (and all MO members for that
matter) contributed more to the wellbeing of the world than any
thousand politicians drawn as a random sample? .. or any ten
thousand of us fans !!!!! not that we're useless, just that that's what i
consider to be an estimate of their collossal effect on humanity.
so i say, they've paid their dues to humanity a thousand-fold already.
anything that any of them now do is a sheer bonus to the world.  if
any one of them decides to just take it easy - good for them!  they
will have affected more people, more positively, more frequently and
more effectively than i think i ever will ...
so i say pete can do whatever he wants.
actually i think politics is a burial ground of souls.  a lobbyist may be
more able to remain separated from the manure of politics and
provide an ongoing focussed positive influence.
but what the hell would i know?
cheers
ribman again.