Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Their music means so much to me...

Cheryl H ooiiilllss@hotmail.com
Wed, 04 Dec 2002 19:58:42 -0500

...so much more than I can put into words.  I discovered The Oils when I was
15, when Beds Are Burning was released in 1987.  it was like nothing else on
the radio at the time.  I fell in love with them immediately.  I remember
watching The Dead Heart video on MTV, my favorite part being Martin and Jim
playing acoustic guitars at the end.  I found Red Sails in a little music
shop in lower Manhattan in 1989, and was floored when I heard the opening to
Generals.  and when Blue Sky was released in 90, it became my new favorite
album.  that summer, they released all of their cd's, and I bought them all
in two goes.  Head Injuries remains one of my very favorites.  just ask the
Boys how I hounded them to play Stand In Line for me this May in NY :)

I was lucky to see them in Philly in May of 90, and I will share my most
embarrassing moment with you:  the show was at the Spectrum, where the
20,000-seat venue sold out.  I had a floor seat, but spent much of the time
working my way up to the stage.  I finally made it up there around the
encore, when I planted myself in front of Martin (my home at every Oils'
show since), and when I finally caught his eye, I screamed, "I LOVE YOU!!",
only to get "that look".  ever get that look from Martin??  I hope you never
do;  the embarrassment lived with me for eleven and-a-half years, when I got
the opportunity to see them again.  "this time," I swore, "I'm gonna remain
calm and not make an ass out of myself (or so I thought).  they're not that
kind of band."  well, after an AMAZING performance at the Birch Hill Nite
Club in NJ, I went out by the busses and got to meet Martin.  it went really
well at first, I didn't ask him for photos or his autograph, I genuinely
didn't want one;  I was so happy to be able to meet my favorite guitarist
since I was 16.  he was so pleasant, and about halfway through our
conversation, I made an ass out of myself, AGAIN.  nothing too drastic, just
a bunch of senseless rambling, to which he "had to go".  I was ecstatic, to
say the least.  I hadn't gotten a ticket for the next night's show in NY,
but I was determined to go.  I got my ticket the next day and met some
awesome people - Melissa, Fix, Brad and Steve, to name a few.  after that
show, after getting lost in NY because of all the detours to the Lincoln
Tunnel due to the aftermath of Sept. 11, I decided to go back to The World
to start again.  Rob was just about to get into the van when I yelled out to
him, asking him to sign my setlist, and he said he'd be happy to oblige.  as
I nearly got ran over running across the street, I thought to myself, 'I'm
meeting one of the biggest drumming influences of my life,' and got the
chance to tell him so.

I went to the Letterman show, Irving Plaza, the 930 club in DC, The
Vanderbilt on Long Island, The Troc in Philly, and the Bowery in NY.  got to
be a little part of Rob's photo shoot in the middle of Delancy Street in NY.

if I had the opportunity to thank the Oils for all they've done, I wouldn't
know where to begin, but I'd like to try:  thanks for the music that will
always be a huge part of me,  for introducing me to Australia and all of
it's wonders,  for the Exxon protest, and for brining me together with
people who share my passion for your music.

with wishes for your health and continuted prosperity,
Cheryl