Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Pete's leaving - what happened?

msira@calis.com msira@calis.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:19:14 -0800

Wow!  I would have never guessed that Pete would up and leave the band.  The
Oils seemed like the perfect sort of project that would always be around. The
band might go on hiatus while other projects were worked on, but would always
return.  Failing this, I could imagine the band as a WHOLE calling it quits,
but not a single member (especially not Pete).

I'm truly heartbroken, but thankful.  After 16 years of being a fan and 5
unsuccessful attempts to get to an oils gig, I was finally able to catch the
oils at the Warfield in SF on the last leg of the last tour.  It was an
incredible show!  I had hoped to maybe catch at least one more some time in the
future.  I guess not, now.

I have to think it was related to the touring.  The stresses of touring have
torn many a band apart (including my own).  I would have imagined that after
all these years, the boys would have come up with ways of dealing with that
stress.  Maybe not...