Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Courageous Decisions

MICHAEL PAGE mjsp@ozemail.com.au
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 23:28:29 +1100

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01C29B23.B0703720

Although profoundly disappointing (and surprisingly painful listening to =
Oils tracks on the radio today - I cant even bring myself to watch =
footage of live performances!) I really have to respect and admire =
Peter's decision.  I dont know what lies ahead for him, but looking at =
the state of Federal Labor and the ascendancy of the Greens, it is easy =
to be convinced that the timing is spot on and he is destined for =
greater things.

I am even more convinced that the guys have made absolutely the right =
decision.  Yes, they have lost an intensely powerful lyricist and an =
iconic, irreplaceable front man.  However, with two of this country's =
greatest song writers, the musicianship is (and no disrespect to Peter), =
very much intact. =20

Much as I loved Capricornia, it seemed to me to mark some regression for =
the band and maybe an unsurpassable peak in Peter's vocals (Overpass at =
the Beenleigh Tavern gig last year springs very much to mind).  As =
unthinkable as it sounds, Pete's vocals have been pretty much the one =
"constant" in the Oils music all these years.  I have often thought that =
a more melodic vocal style opens up endless new musical directions and =
an opportunity for their trade mark musical "quantum leap".  I for one =
will be listening.

Finally, it occurred to me today that just last month, I was wondering =
home through the (endless, over lit) Twin Town car parks thinking "those =
guys REALLY could play forever".  Now it looks like we have lost BOTH =
Died Pretty and Midnight Oil in 02.   What a tragic year both in general =
terms and for progressive Australian music.

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01C29B23.B0703720

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Although profoundly disappointing =
(and=20
surprisingly painful listening to Oils tracks on the radio today - I =
cant even=20
bring myself to watch footage of live performances!) I really have to =
respect=20
and admire Peter's decision.&nbsp; I dont know what lies ahead for him, =
but=20
looking at the state of Federal Labor and the ascendancy of the Greens, =
it is=20
easy to be convinced that the timing is spot on and he is destined for =
greater=20
things.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I am even more convinced that the =
guys have made=20
absolutely the right decision.&nbsp; Yes, they have lost an intensely =
powerful=20
lyricist and an iconic, irreplaceable front man.&nbsp; However, with two =
of this=20
country's greatest song writers, the musicianship is (and no disrespect =
to=20
Peter), very much intact.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Much as I loved Capricornia, it seemed to me to mark =
some=20
regression for the band and maybe an unsurpassable peak in Peter's =
vocals=20
(Overpass at the Beenleigh Tavern gig last year springs very much to=20
mind).&nbsp; As unthinkable as it sounds, Pete's vocals have been pretty =
much=20
the one &quot;constant&quot; in the Oils music all these years.&nbsp; I =
have=20
often thought that a more melodic vocal style opens up endless new =
musical=20
directions and an opportunity for their trade mark musical &quot;quantum =

leap&quot;.&nbsp; I for one will be listening.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Finally, it occurred to me today that just last =
month, I was=20
wondering home through the (endless, over lit) Twin Town car parks =
thinking=20
&quot;those guys REALLY could play forever&quot;.&nbsp; Now it looks =
like we=20
have lost BOTH Died Pretty and Midnight Oil in 02.&nbsp;&nbsp; What a =
tragic=20
year both in general terms and for progressive Australian =
music.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01C29B23.B0703720--