Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] This is something I will remember

Terry Johnson tenacious@cyberback.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 02:17:08 -0600

Those we're the words I kept chanting after I saw them for the first and
only time this summer.  I'm so grateful the band came close enough to my
home that I could manage to make the day-long trip up to see them.  The show
was so good.  The best show of my life.  They played several songs I didn't
think they would.  I've been running two of them through my head ever since
I read the news.  Brave Faces and Under the Overpass.  You know the words.

I can't really express how much the Oils have meant to me over the years.  I
first discovered them in 1987, fell in love with them in 1991, and joined
powderworks in 1993.  I've shared their message with everyone I could.  I
will continue to do so.  Their recordings will stand the test of time, and
future generations will remember them as the most vocally poignant and
humanistically motivated band in history.

As I type this, the messages from all over the world keep pouring into the
list.  I wonder if the band has any concept of the impact of their work.  I
can imagine that Peter doesn't feel he is still contributing significantly
to society, but he is.  The difference they've made in our lives is seeded
into our communities by us.  It is very hard for one man, or one band, to
make a difference.  But may he know that he was never alone.  We each helped
spread the messages verbalized in the lyrics and ranted on stage in unique
ways.  By touching us, Peter touched the world.

May he find what he's looking for...

--Terry

And they got those tears in their eyes
Well it makes no sense to me.