Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: CD-R TREE: Seattle / Vancouver / Calgary 2002 - SHN note

Miron Mizrahi mironmizrahi@yahoo.com
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:27:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I thought I'd post something to help people decide whether it's
better for them to download or to sign up for the tree.

we all know (or should know before we sign up) how a tree works so I
won't waste your time on it. how will the SHN thingy work

1. I will post a series of files - each file is one track (song). I
will post them for a limited time, as I don't want them to consume
disk space for too long. I am not exactly approved for doing this.
2. you will need a software utility called "mkw Audio Compression
Kit". it is simple to install and use and I will be providing
details on where to get it and how to use it.
3. once you downloaded the files, you will use this util. to convert
from SHN to WAV files (drag'n'drop)
4. once you have your WAV files you can burn them as an audio CD

what are the benefits?

1. shows will probably be available before the tree gets into full
swing
2. you can do it in your own time without needing to arrange a trade
for the shows

what will you need?

1. a fast connection. as Andy mentioned, even with compression it is
still a lot
2. a reasonably fast PC. the SHN-->WAV conversion is CPU intensive.
you won't need a monster but if your PC is old, it will take time
3. a CD burner. burnerless folks - don't bother.

if anyone wants to learn more about SHN head to www.etree.org

I hope this helps

=====
Miron

It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
(Midnight Oil)