Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Total Guitar's top 100 guitarists....very very sad.

stephen.wood@stockford.net stephen.wood@stockford.net
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:47:07 +1000

That list of top 100 guitarists is very sad.

As someone who has been playing guitar for a long time, my totally unbiased
opinion is that Martin & Jim would play the pants off more than half of
that list. REM are a great band and Peter Buck is a great guitarist, but
certainly not Martin or Jims standard, likewise with U2, awesome band,
great songs, but the edge is very good at best.

As for Noel Gallagher (oasis), he is a very very average musician from an
even worse band and to have Tom Delonge of Blink 182 in there at all just
shows how these type of lists mean absolutely nothing. The artists are
voted for by rabid fans who don't actually know what constitutes a great
guitarist, they just vote for whoever their favoured band is at the time.

If you talk to any aussie muso in there 20's or older, they will almost
inevitably acknowledge that Martin & Jim are 2 of the best you will ever
see and make the average rock guitarist of today look & sound like a 5 year
old with a eukalele (eg. Creed, Nickelback, matchbox 20, sum41, stained,
limp bizkit etc. etc. etc.)
Infact alot of well known aussie guitarists credit Marting & Jim as being
their inspiration.

Anway, I won't bore all you non muso's any longer.

All the best,
Steve Wood.