Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils on World Cafe

Kelly Morris km97mo@yahoo.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:09:26 -0700 (PDT)

I know what you mean about it being hard to separate
the band's motives from the individual members'
motives.  Is there a difference?  Well, it strikes me
that Peter Garrett does see a distinction, at least a
small one.  It is confusing to see comments like his
when the band has done so much, like giving benefit
and protest concerts and singing about activism that
they commit themselves to in their personal lives.

It's my guess Peter wants people to pay attention to
the music as well as the lyrics, and that is why he
sometimes pushes the band's musical side in
interviews. Many critics, if not fans, seem to
consider Midnight Oil's activist side as being the
most important part of the band, hence reviews that
criticized Capricornia for not being political enough.
 That is unfortunate because the band's musical talent
merits equal attention.  They don't copy or try to fit
in with musical fads and their songs are powerful and
original.
It is sad that they are not recognized as much for
their music as for the issues they sing about.

I decided to mention the interview from the World Cafe
broadcast because none of the other workers seemed to
have heard it (at least, no one else has mentioned it
yet) and it was interesting stuff.
Anyway, sorry that I came across as so defensive.  I
admire Peter Garrett very much, and it's obvious that
you do too.  I hope I explained how his comments can
be interpreted in a positive way.
Kelly