Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Midnight Oil/Great Big Sea on E-Town

Mike Blackwood mikeb@cs.mun.ca
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:19:32 -0230 (NDT)

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, mai kiigemagi wrote:

As an inhabitant of St. John's, Newfoundland (the capitol of the province
and hometown of GBS), I would trade my sanity to see this gig!  There are
a LOT of historical similarities between Newfoundland and Australia, BTW.
We were the first outpost of the emerging British empire over 500 years
ago.  We were used as a penal colony.  Sadly our indigenous people went
extinct once the got exposed to our diseases (and some bullets, too), so
Australia fared much better on that front... (it's especially sad since
thier ancestors managed to drive off the vikings in about 1025 AD after they'd
only been here for a quarter century!  We happened to show up just when
the Beothuks were in a dire situation population-wise and after colonists
cut them off from the coasts and introduced european diseases, they were
doomed.  Our remaining native tribes are doing about as well as the other
tribes in Canada, but that's not saying too much.)

Anyway, this got way-off topic.... sorry.  Is it easy to tell I'm an
out-of-work nature/history interpreter for the local tourism industry?

Where is the GBS/MO gig being breadcash, anyway?  Any chance I could see
it here in Newfoundland?

Mike