Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] More on my letter to the Hartford Courant

Laura Wolfe Laura Wolfe" <casalobo@lightspeed.net
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 15:48:26 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0094_01C1DD82.7D9CCE80

Patty:

Thanks; I did send the letter to the editor, NOT to Eric Danton =
directly.  And I do want to point out that it was not so much my intent =
to tell Danton that he's an idiot and that he should love "Capricornia" =
as much as I do (which would be rude and pointless as well), but to =
advise him that, as a journalist, he needs to take the time to get his =
facts straight.  I was a journalist once, and I think they have a public =
trust to get the facts straight, even if it's just a record review.  =
It's sheer laziness and/or poor journalistic ethics to do any less.

Finally, I have to respectfully disagree with those who say complaining =
about bad reviews is a waste of time and that nobody makes up their mind =
based on reviews (or something like that).  Maybe a review is not the =
sole basis on which a decision to purchase is based, but it could "scare =
someone off" buying a CD they're curious about.  Danton's review might =
well convince a potential buyer who likes "Golden Age" not to bother =
with the CD, which would be a shame because, I think we can all agree, =
it's at least a "good" CD, not a waste of money, etc.  Bottom line: the =
review and my letter probably don't make a bit of difference in the =
greater scheme of things, but I like to write and I felt like telling =
Danton to get his act together.

Bill Wolfe

------=_NextPart_000_0094_01C1DD82.7D9CCE80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Patty:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks; I did send the letter to the =
editor, NOT to=20
Eric Danton directly.&nbsp; And I do want to point out that it was not =
so much=20
my intent to tell Danton that he's an idiot and that he should love=20
"Capricornia" as much as I do (which would be rude and pointless as =
well), but=20
to advise him that, as a journalist, he needs to take the time to get =
his facts=20
straight.&nbsp; I was a journalist once, and I think they have a public =
trust to=20
get the facts straight, even if it's just a record review.&nbsp; It's =
sheer=20
laziness and/or poor journalistic ethics to do any less.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Finally, I have to respectfully =
disagree with those=20
who say complaining about bad reviews is a waste of time and that nobody =
makes=20
up their mind based on reviews (or something like that).&nbsp; Maybe a =
review is=20
not the sole basis on which a decision to purchase is based, but it =
could "scare=20
someone off" buying a CD they're curious about.&nbsp; Danton's review =
might well=20
convince a potential buyer who likes "Golden Age" not to bother with the =
CD,=20
which would be a shame because, I think we can all agree,&nbsp;it's at =
least a=20
"good" CD, not a waste of money, etc.&nbsp; Bottom line: the review and =
my=20
letter probably don't make a bit of difference in the greater scheme of =
things,=20
but I like to write and I felt like telling Danton to get his act=20
together.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bill Wolfe</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0094_01C1DD82.7D9CCE80--