Midnight Oil

SV: [Powderworks] reviews

Bjorn Blomquist bjorn.blomquist@mbox301.swipnet.se
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 12:36:31 +0200

> In general I agree with you.  If I'm interested in a particular band or
> artist, I won't let a bad review stop a planned purchased.  On the flip side
> though, I've more than once purchased a CD from a band or artist that I was
> unfamiliar with based upon a favorable review.  For example, I bought my
> first Paul Kelly & the Messengers CD many years ago after reading a review
> in Rolling Stone that piqued my curiousity.

Same here. If you are already a big fan of a band, you will buy their new album whatever the reviewers say. That is of course, if you like the new material yourself.

I too have discovered to me unfamiliar acts thanks to a well-written review. The best example is '69 Love Songs' by the Magnetic Fields, whom I had never heard of until I read that very short, but yet interesting, review of this magnum opus. I was using Napster at the time, downloaded a few songs and I was hooked! I soon bought the 3-cd set and it probably ranks as the best record purchase I've ever done. Highly recommened for an extraordinary musical experience!

/Bjorn