Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: the Hip/ ARA

Dave Schultz dschultz29@hotmail.com
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 01:40:40 -0500

>Hmmmmmm.....Oils in the summertime. If I heard right, The Tragically Hip
>are
>releasing a new album in May. Wonder if there is an "Another roadside
>attraction" tour in the works? I think it would be great to see the Oils
>out
>again with the Hip.

I agree this would be awesome, but it won't happen. ARA hasn't happened
since '97 & even when that one was on the Hip said it would likely be the
last- sick of all the work organizing it, etc. Which I can see; for those
not in the know, they had many great Canadian artists, but also managed to
snag the Oils, Wilco, Ziggy Marley, Sheryl Crow, Los Lobos, Matt Sweet,
Mutton Birds, and several other international bands for the various
incarnations of their festival-tour. Plus Cdn Dan Lanois was a damned
impressive coup.
Anyway, it sadly won't happen, but I have the memory of my first Oils
concert at Lansdowne in Ottawa in '93, the mud of '95, Jeff Tweedy of Wilco
leaning & looking towards me several times during Wilco's set in '97 (well,
he had crowd surfed on me at club gigs twice that year). Actually, that was
probably the best line-up overall, even sans Oils. Well, now I'm just being
self-indulgent. Must sleep.

Cheers,                             Dave