Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] bill "satan" gates? no Midnight Oil for the moment (sheew)

Henry Longmore Henry.Krit.Longmore@m.cc.utah.edu
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:35:00 -0600 (MDT)

Did I mention Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York"?

---I previously said:
You may have also noticed many innocuous songs...Savage Garden's
"Crash and Burn"...Simon & Garfunkle's "Bridge over Troubled
Water"...Lennin's "Imagine"...I think the goal was not only
references to planes, bombs, fighting the government (a.k.a. machine),
but also songs that might cause people deeply affected to break down
in tears.

As long as they lift the ban within a reasonable time frame, fine.
They aren't even touching problems with the 1st amendment, as it
guarantees them the ability to play what they want to, when they want
to; it doesn't guarantee the listeners that the station will play
anything and everything.  The part of radio censorship that touches
the 1st amendment is the part that fines people for saying things like
"f*@k" on the air.  Which, I noticed this summer while listening to
MMM and JJJ over the internet (via Microsoft's network), you can do in
Australia.

 }> > The Beatles "Obla Di, Obla Da"
 }
 }Must be because of Osama bin Laden = O B Lad...?
 }I was actually reminded of that song when I saw his name in the paper
 }today... Most peculiar, mama.
 }
 }> > Elton John "Daniel"
 }
 }Just because the line "Daniel is travelling tonight on a plane..."?
 }Well, there must be thousands of songs with the word "plane" in the lyrics.
 }What about the Oils' "Hercules", "Enola Gay" by OMD, "Back in the USSR" by
 }the Beatles to name a few. Seems like some of the banned songs are more or
 }less chosen by random.
 }
 }/Bjorn