Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: (powd) What goes on

Jeff and Jane Scott jscott@iinet.net.au
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 20:36:24 +0800

>Guaranteed, in the days to come as some of those who suffer recover their
>better selves, our government will continue to talk about 'punishment' and
>'justice' and 'retaliation', proving that for all our technology and
>knowledge we still have no understanding that we become what we hate.  As
>Gandhi said, "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind."

but what do you do with people who understand nothing but violence, and for
whom life is of little value?  I don't think sending them on an Anger
Management Course is going to do the trick.

"taking them out", as they say, is perfectly acceptable if it is the only
(or the best) way to remove the threat.  as some of you on the list know,
i'm a police officer.  If someone kills my partner and is pointing a gun at
me, it doesn't make me a murderer if I shoot them first.

where there is a cancer, it must be cut out.  there is no other option.

jeff...