Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Wash. DC Partygoers?

Michael Handler handler-powderworks@sub-rosa.com
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 04:02:36 -0500

"Hachkowski, Garrett  " <ghachkowski@kpmg.ca> writes:

> Hey, I'm really crunched for time...I'm reading that there are still
> tickets (I'm going to phone tomorrow) but am wondering if any Workers
> out there know of any public transit between BWI and anyplace in DC?

There's fairly decent public transit serving BWI between approximately
6 AM and 11 PM on weekdays. (Weekends can be a little spotty.)

Outside the terminal on the lower (baggage claim) level, follow the
signs for the shuttles to the satellite parking areas. There will
be an "Amtrak/MARC" shuttle bus that comes periodically. Take that
shuttle (free) to the BWI rail station, where you can catch MARC
(Maryland regional rail) or Amtrak southbound to Washington.  Both
train lines terminate at Union Station, which is on the Metro (Red
Line), and is also not a bad way to kill a few hours wandering the
shops. There's a Burrito Brothers in the basement food court, too,
num num.

MARC from BWI to Union Station will cost approximately $5-8, Amtrak
can cost as much as $19-21, depending on the time of day.

MARC schedule:

	http://www.mtamaryland.com/schedules/marc/Pennnew.PDF

Amtrak:

	http://www.amtrak.com/

	(Station Names: Union Station == WAS, BWI Rail Station == BWI)

Once you're in the city, you can use Metro to get around:

	http://www.wmata.com/

As the lovely and talented Ava C. has already pointed out, if you
want to Metro to the 9:30 club, it's right on the Green Line, at
the U Street / African American Civil War Memorial / Cardozo stop.

	http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.htm

>From Union Station, take the Red Line towards Shady Grove / Rockville
two stops to Gallery Place / Chinatown, and then take the Green
Line towards Greenbelt three stops, and make sure you exit at the
10th & U St exit.

Actually, the official 9:30 Club web site has directions that include
Metro, but it's all annoying Javascript popups, so I can't include
a direct URL. (Thanks guys!) Just go to:

	http://www.930.com/

click on "Directions", and scroll to the bottom.

If you have any other questions, well: as the Preacher said to
Sheriff Bart, "Son -- you're on your own." Just kidding, feel free to
ask away -- though I think just about everything you might need should
be in the URLs above.

--michael, just back from Philly, and psyched for the NJ and DC shows.
  This is me:

	http://www.sub-rosa.com/handler/images/wedding/bookjacket.jpg

  Feel free to come up and introduce yourself.

PS Have they played Surf's Up Tonight anywhere yet? That's the one thing
that i'd really love to hear done live, especially as a nice closer...

--
handler@grendel.net (michael handler)                           washington, dc

                        SHUT YOUR NOISE TUBE, TACO HUMAN