Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Montreal show

Kelly Morris kmorri99@stlawu.edu
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:57:17 -0800

  As expected the Montreal show was awesome.  My first Oils concert
could not have been better!  The songs were great and after the show I
got Pete and Martin's autographs.  The rest of the band had apparently
already boarded the bus when I got there (they left by the back exit); a
woman told me I had just missed Rob.

It was nice meeting some other pworkers - Jon, Indi, Brigitte, James - I
recognized Garrett from the photo in the email, sorry I didn't get to
meet you.

I was right in front of Jim for most of the show, second row of people
from the stage.
the band seemed to be having fun.

During one song, Beds are Burning  I think, the shoulder strap for Jim's
guitar broke, or the clasp came apart and he almost dropped the guitar,
it slid down and he brought his knee up to catch it.  He was laughing at
that, trying to play and hold his guitar up at the same time, until
someone came from backstage to fix the strap.

In one of the funnier comments Pete made during the night, at one point
he said something like "the band finally made it to United States
despite anthrax and George Bush."

When I saw Pete and Martin in the back, they were being polite, standing
with fans and getting their pictures taken.  Pete and Martin signed my
10-1 cd book and Pete signed my friend Tara's ticket.  She didn't even
know who Midnight Oil was before the concert and said she liked every
single song they played and would love to see them live again.  A new
fan!

And Jon, the lady you said chased Bones and Martin into the street when
they got a cab before the show, she got autographs from Rob, Pete, and
Martin afterwards.  When standing by Pete with someone taking her photo
she said "Be careful not to cut him off!  He's very tall!"  Wish I'd
brought my camera; Pete and Martin were indulging the small group of
fans back there.

Here's the songs they played, (out of order):

Redneck Wonderland
Bullroarer
Truganini
Blue Sky Mine
Warakurna
Forgotten Years
Golden Age (this song kicks a**)
Say Your Prayers
Dreamworld
Short Memory
Beds Are Burning
Hercules
King of the Mountain
Sometimes
Put Down That Weapon
Luritja Way
Too Much Sunshine
In the Valley (Jim on keyboard, Pete came out holding a finger to his
lips, going shhhhh to quiet the crowd)
Read About It

Great show, as expected.  Can't wait to see them again.

kel