Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Montreal Show

James A. Smith jasmith@cim.mcgill.ca
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:12:06 -0500 (EST)

Wow,

What a show.  The band was a whole lot more into it at the Montreal show
than they had been at the Toronto one.  The Gazette review
(http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/story.asp?id=%7B73EBED53-492C-4E62-9692-9B7C11A487C7%7D)
doesn't do it justice at all, even getting Beds mixed up with the Dead
Heart.  (Marc Lepage's preview,
http://www.canada.com/search/site/story.asp?id=523D3B12-1FCD-4AB1-91E2-7CB9BFCD74C2,
was a whole lot better, reminding me of the review he wrote in '90) The
crowd was very receptive and the band seemed to feed off the energy.
Unlike the Toronto show, they were off to a rocking start with Redneck and
it didn't let up until the very end.

I'll attempt to list some of the songs... Three of the new songs, Lurijita
Way (sp?), Golden Age and Too Much Sunshine (still loving that one, can't
get the chorus out of my head) were played.  I think that Read About It
ended the show.  Beds was played with Rob on the drums in back, as opposed
to the T.O. show where he was up front.  King of the Mountain was great,
again!  I think that Warakurna was played, but could be wrong.

It was great to see some of the 'workers that I first met at the Toronto
gig: Indi, Garrett and Irena, Jonathan, and Paul.  New encounters included
Brigitte from Montreal (and all sorts of other places in the world!), Jess
from Vermont, Kelly from New York (who got an autograph, I think! :-)),
Brian (who worked on the original Oilbase), a bald and goatee-sporting
'worker and his girlfriend (I'm bad with names!!  help me out,
someone! :-))... anyone else that I'm missing?

Indi helped me out with a couple of photos (Thanks!!), including one
inside Rob's corrugated drum.  I'll try to get them developed
tonight. :-)  The attempt to meet the band backstage didn't work since
they ducked out early, so I wasn't able to get your Oilcan autographed,
Garrett.  Sorry!  Will need your address though so that I can rans... I
mean send it back. :-P

Now, must get back to work!  It was great meeting everyone and I hope to
see more of you in the Spring.

-James

... whooo, work is so much less exciting than that show just a few hours
ago!