Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Cleveland Show!

M West mwest@columbus.rr.com
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 16:01:24 +0100

--MS_Mac_OE_3087129685_574095_MIME_Part

OK=ADit's a couple of days later from the Cleveland show and I've collected
my thoughts. It was my FIRST SHOW ever and what an initiation.

The Odeon is very small. It's a tiny club in a renovated warehouse district
in Cleveland called "the flats" with an upstairs loft and a bar winding
around
one side. The stage was tiny-barely enough room for Martin's two VOX amps,
Rob's drum kit, a stack of amps, Bone's amp, then Jim's keyboards to the
side,
all packed tight.  That small stage and room made for a huge, focused blast
of sound through the whole night=ADthey opened with Redneck Wonderland and IT
WAS FIERCE.

Peter was a shocking, imposing presence from my vantage point=ADI was three
feet
in front of him behind a barricade!  I had no idea this guy was this
tall=ADthere was a
hint of it when they put four mic stands in front and Pete's was a foot and
a half taller
than the others! Rob has so much energy-he must replace the skins on his ki=
pretty regularly=ADand he's constantly grinning=ADhe is having the time of his
life up there.
Martin had this really beautiful blue Fender (Jazzmaster or Jaguar) and was
playing
surf-like rhythm during Too Much Sunshine-can't wait to hear new CD.

Songs... They played Luritja Way and it fit in so well with the older stuff
from
Diesel and Dust and Blue Sky Mining. I love that song. Too Much Sunshine
sounded like their older sound like Bird Noises-maybe it was the sound
system-and man oh man they played One Country!  They played another new
one-Tone Poem I think, and it has really changed from the MP3 version that
someone posted earlier this year.
Encores included "Read about it" and "Hercules"=ADtwo songs I've always
defined as
THE songs to hear live. Most of the people there sang along with the songs.

Got a rant about Bill Clinton that was funny=ADPete mentioned Sept 11th and
said we must keep on living fully=ADlike going out tonight to an Oils show!

I consider my self SO Fortunate to have seen these guys-I waited something
like
5 years on this list (since Breathe) and constantly got my hopes up wheneve=
they toured in Australia that they would finally tour here. This concert wa=
made even better by meeting people on the list=ADI bumped into Melissa (from
Buffalo) by extreme luck in the front line outside=ADand later met Matthew
from Pittsburg. Hey we even found out what a yobbo was later in the show!!!

To top it off, I got a Drumstick, beaten to hell by Rob!
No wait...to even make it better, I got to shake hands with Pete when we
waited outside
and watched the roadies load their equipment into the truck! I was too
tongue-tied
to speak at that point and watched Rob, Jim and Bones walk by to the bus...=
!

What a night...I drove home in an adrenaline high for three hours=AD
ready for the next show friday in Michigan!

=ADMike
--MS_Mac_OE_3087129685_574095_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Cleveland Show!</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">OK=ADit's a couple of days later from the Cleveland show and I=
've collected <BR>
my thoughts. It was my FIRST SHOW ever and what an initiation.<BR>
<BR>
The Odeon is very small. It's a tiny club in a renovated warehouse district=
 <BR>
in Cleveland called &quot;the flats&quot; with an upstairs loft and a bar w=
inding around <BR>
one side. The stage was tiny-barely enough room for Martin's two VOX amps, =
<BR>
Rob's drum kit, a stack of amps, Bone's amp, then Jim's keyboards to the si=
de, <BR>
all packed tight. &nbsp;That small stage and room made for a huge, focused =
blast of sound through the whole night=ADthey opened with Redneck Wonderland a=
nd IT WAS FIERCE.<BR>
<BR>
Peter was a shocking, imposing presence from my vantage point=ADI was three f=
eet<BR>
in front of him behind a barricade! &nbsp;I had no idea this guy was this t=
all=ADthere was a <BR>
hint of it when they put four mic stands in front and Pete's was a foot and=
 a half taller<BR>
than the others! Rob has so much energy-he must replace the skins on his ki=
t pretty regularly=ADand he's constantly grinning=ADhe is having the time of his=
 life up there.<BR>
Martin had this really beautiful blue Fender (Jazzmaster or Jaguar) and was=
 playing<BR>
surf-like rhythm during Too Much Sunshine-can't wait to hear new CD.<BR>
<BR>
Songs... They played Luritja Way and it fit in so well with the older stuff=
 from<BR>
Diesel and Dust and Blue Sky Mining. I love that song. Too Much Sunshine so=
unded like their older sound like Bird Noises-maybe it was the sound system-=
and man oh man they played One Country! &nbsp;They played another new one-To=
ne Poem I think, and it has really changed from the MP3 version that someone=
 posted earlier this year.<BR>
Encores included &quot;Read about it&quot; and &quot;Hercules&quot;=ADtwo son=
gs I've always defined as <BR>
THE songs to hear live. Most of the people there sang along with the songs.=
 <BR>
<BR>
Got a rant about Bill Clinton that was funny=ADPete mentioned Sept 11th and<B=

said we must keep on living fully=ADlike going out tonight to an Oils show!<B=

<BR>
I consider my self SO Fortunate to have seen these guys-I waited something =
like <BR>
5 years on this list (since Breathe) and constantly got my hopes up wheneve=
r they toured in Australia that they would finally tour here. This concert w=
as made even better by meeting people on the list=ADI bumped into Melissa (fro=
m Buffalo) by extreme luck in the front line outside=ADand later met Matthew f=
rom Pittsburg. Hey we even found out what a yobbo was later in the show!!!<B=

<BR>
To top it off, I got a Drumstick, beaten to hell by Rob! <BR>
No wait...to even make it better, I got to shake hands with Pete when we wa=
ited outside <BR>
and watched the roadies load their equipment into the truck! I was too tong=
ue-tied<BR>
to speak at that point and watched Rob, Jim and Bones walk by to the bus...=
!<BR>
<BR>
What a night...I drove home in an adrenaline high for three hours=AD<BR>
ready for the next show friday in Michigan!<BR>
<BR>
=ADMike</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3087129685_574095_MIME_Part--