Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Bickering amongst Powderworkers

Galina Yune lina_yune@msn.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:13:32 -0500

<P><BR>Gavin,</P>
<P>To add to Margaret's post: the Powderworkers that I've met and I personally thought most of the people who were arond me....were very sweet and nice.&nbsp;</P>
<P>The music of Midnight Oils is what keeps us all together, and the lyrics definitely teach togetherness, love, compassion, care and all other nice things like love and patriotism.&nbsp; Cutting each other down, and embarassing people in public is definitely not a part of that list.</P>
<P>I always enjoy reading all the posts about the shows, seeing pictures, and being informed what goes on.&nbsp; And yes, I do love my Aussie Mates.</P>
<P>Peace,&nbsp;&nbsp; Lina Yune </P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Margaret Benzer" <BENZER@MAIL.MC.MARICOPA.EDU>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: Powderworks <POWDERWORKS@CS.COLORADO.EDU>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [Powderworks] Bickering amongst Powderworkers
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:46:58 -0700
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;When I saw the email this morning, all I could think about is, who is this guy
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and how did he follow me from one of the bulletin boards I left two weeks ago?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;This other, local group's bulletin board had gotten crude and vile, bordering
<DIV></DIV>&gt;on the obscene and disturbing. I left after registering my objections.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Fortunately, I didn't receive any of the hate mail these fanatics are known to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;send disgruntled ex-board members.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;This happened mere days before the Vegas and Phoenix shows. Needless to say, I
<DIV></DIV>&gt;kind of had a feeling of dread of meeting fans of another message board .
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Would they be snotty? Would they be drunken jerks? Would they be nasty to me
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and my sister whom I would never have introduced to the people I met on the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;other board? I'm glad to say that my fears were unfounded. The Powderworkers
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I met in Vegas were just as great as those that I had met in Portland the year
<DIV></DIV>&gt;before. Talking before the show, between acts, after the show...these were the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;best fans in the world. Not a bad one in the lot that I met. However, I am
<DIV></DIV>&gt;talking about the Powderworkers here, not the people who were there because
<DIV></DIV>&gt;they wanted to hear "Beds Are Burning" or were like the guy who, as Peter
<DIV></DIV>&gt;joked, had a vocabulary of only two words, one of which was quite vulgar.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The Phoenix crowd was a different group altogether as there were only two
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Powderworkers there and the venue was an all-ages event. But there was a large
<DIV></DIV>&gt;contingency of Aussies that made for an interesting group behind us. And
<DIV></DIV>&gt;everyone was well-behaved for the most part. There was no snobbiness and group
<DIV></DIV>&gt;of people were talking to strangers, something we didn't even do in Vegas.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Maybe it was because we were excited because we were getting updates on the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;baseball game (go Diamondbacks), but Oils fans are not your typical rock band
<DIV></DIV>&gt;fans.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Gavin, if you ever met me, you would probably think I was stuck up. Why?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Because I sometimes get withdrawn in crowds. (Quit laughing, Mai and Alan.)
<DIV></DIV>&gt;That is, until I feel comforable enough to talk. So if I show up alone and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;don't know anyone there, then I do appear stand-offish, something I was accused
<DIV></DIV>&gt;of on the other list. So unless you have made an effort to befriend some of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;these people you are accusing of being standoffish, then maybe it is because it
<DIV></DIV>&gt;is actually the other way around. Just swallow your pride and step up. I did,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and made some real cool friends along the way.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. By the way, I am bummed that
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I didn't get to hear "No Time for Games." But at least I got to hear "Put Down
<DIV></DIV>&gt;That Weapon" so I won't complain too loudly.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Margaret
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;P.S. I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up. :-p
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Powderworks mailing list
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Powderworks@cs.colorado.edu