Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Some brief comments

Alan R. Bernstein bernsa@eden.rutgers.edu
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:35:56 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings all!

I made it back to Jersey A-OK!

Comments on Anaheim show:
The setlist seemed really short to me.  The show rocked;despite the band
being somewhat "jet-lagged".

I got a copy of the setlist.  Interesting to point out that there was what
appeared to be a 2nd encore supposed to be played with Surf's Up and Put
Down your Weapon.  I have a feeling that Read About It will close 0out the
show no matter what.

Got to meet Craig with Indi and Al... NICE!

A few Yabbos with the Wedge shirts as was already mentioned.

Rob up front!  Rob on steel water drum!  SWEEEEEET!

Jim just seemed to be grooving and quitely meditating.

Will Hogue was much better than expected.  The drummer definitely looked
like he was in agony.  He wore a Krispy Kreme doughnut shirt.  I swore he
was crying during their slow song about some girl who went out to LA.  The
guy Trace is the most interesting to watch and I think loves being up
there the most.  The other Guitar player seems like a mystery to me.  Will
likes to step away from the microphone once in a while.

I haven't seen this posted yet: There is a sign on stage that says in
English something to the effects of "Do not feet the rats and pigeons" and
what might be the same text in Russian? and Hebrew.  There was graffitii
painted on the sign.  The sign is behing Bones and Jim next to Rob's kit.

Thoughts on 1st Sunset Strip show:
Much stronger performance.

Trace from Will Hogue was messing around alot... Snuk in a cigarette break
while he pretended no one was watching and then was making gestures and
then pretending he didn't meen it when Will made fun of his LA haircut!

The new song played is "Mosquito March" I think.  It didnt seem to have to
a big sing-along chorus.

Caught rehearsal!!! Went to the restaurant early to get in early and sure
enough they were practicing.  Got a table right next to the windows that
looked down on stage.  They were doing Power and the PAssion when I got
there and proceeded with Surf's Up Tonight, Put Down Your Weapon, Lurjita
Way, Sometimes, and maybe one or two others I can't recall.  Pete seemed
to show up late and I tried (unsuccessfully... SORRY MATE!) to help him
find a way down to the stage.

Definitely warming up to the opening band.  Got to meet them after the
show and they were impressed by how nice the Oils are.  I think they'll be
Workers by the time the tour wraps up.  I think I know who Trace likes ;)
Drummer seemed to be in less pain, but still didn't look comfortable.

--
Tis all for now!

Cheers to Al, Indi, Dave, Brian, Scott, and other workers whose names I am
not so good with!

Can't wait for Philly, Birch Hill, and NYC!

p.s. The band did guarantee practically a huge tour next year