Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] appropriate songs

LLOYD_Ian@canon.com.au LLOYD_Ian@canon.com.au
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:43:39 +1000

Yeah but the US does it in the name of peace!
The Talaban are a bunch of idiots who have no regard for human life and as such have to be dealt
with drastically because they have to be shown in no uncertain terms that the rest of the world is
against them!

IAN LLOYD - National Sales Admin. Team Leader
CANON - Business Imaging Solutions Group
Level 2, 1 Thomas Holt Drive, North Ryde 2113
PH: (02) 9805 2384
FAX: 1800 352227
E-MAIL: lloyd_ian@canon.com.au

                    Tom Davies
                    <tdav@wam.umd.edu>             To:
                    Sent by:                       cc:     Powderworks <powderworks@cs.colorado.edu>
                    powderworks-admin@cs.co        Subject:     Re: [Powderworks] appropriate songs
                    lorado.edu

                    02/10/2001 16:56

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 Bawolski@aol.com wrote:

> How about this:  In regards to the current world situation where fanatical
> terrorists kill thousands of innocent victims the most appropriate tune is
> "Put Down That Weapon(or we'll all be gone)."

Feh. Trying to shift the emphasis so that all the onus for change falls on
one side or the other is pointless, and indeed contrary to the message of
the song. Everyone -- the terrorists and the US included -- needs to put
down their weapons. It's not like the US doesn't kill innocent victims.

And of course, those of us who live in America can do more to change the
behavior of the US than to change the behavior of foreign terrorists. So
it's up to us in particular to get the US to put down its weapons.

-Tom (not an absolute pacifist, but very scared of what might result from
a violent US response right now)